My second Remixed pattern is out! To all who pre-order the ebook, Wild is the Wind, a customizable, any-gauge hat:
Knit it with any weight yarn, fitted or beret style, slouchy or not, buttons or none, pointy or smooth-topped, custom fit to your head, worked top-down with a modular sideways brim. (Here it is on Ravelry)
It’s not hard, but by the end you’ll be an expert at twisted stitches! The body is simple and addictive (I could knit the swirly top part over and over and never get bored with it!) and while the brim is definitely trickier (or slower at least), testers have agreed that once you make it through one chart repeat it clicks and gets much quicker and easier as you continue on.
The custom stitch counts and measurements are calculated using your gauge (which is measured directly on the hat after you’ve knit the top part), the brim design is charted, and the pattern includes photo tutorials for my favorite way of doing twisted stitches, detailed instructions for all steps, and a 3 page condensed printable pattern section with a black and white version of the chart.
Notes are included for adding slouch to either style of hat, so you can make a hat fitted in front and long and slouched in the back, or a smaller beret style, or pretty much whatever shape you want. The garter stitch brim bottom is nice and stretchy for a well fitting brim.
My three samples were all knit with recycled yarns. The grey is a strand of worsted-ish weight wool/rayon/angora/cashmere blend, in the beret style with a bit of slouch, no point, no buttons. The blue is a merino/nylon blend worsted weight held triple stranded (using this method), fitted style with no point and buttons. And the yellow is a spun recycled yarn I made - a wool reclaimed sweater yarn, an unknown green yarn, and 2 strands of thread, all plied together for around an aran weight – in the fitted style with a pointed top and buttons.
One note included in the pattern that I wanted to give more details about here – I mention that for the beret style you shouldn’t use yarn heavier than about a worsted weight. Well, I learned that from first attempting to turn that super bulky blue into a beret and ending up with this:
Hah! The brim is 10 stitches wide no matter what your gauge, so a heavier yarn equals a wider brim, and a heavy weight beret with a super wide brim equals ridiculous looking. So that’s the thing about that. But then I just frogged it all back to the top part and made it into a fitted style and the super bulky worked great for that.
My musical backdrop isn’t very visible in the hat photos, maybe it wasn’t a great idea, kinda pointlessly busy, but oh well. I’m trying different music-themed backgrounds for all the Remixed patterns… but I may end up just reshooting everything together for the final ebook, we’ll see. Anyway, this is the background for my Wild is the Wind hats:
A big thanks to my test knitters for all their help with this one! Check out their versions in the ravelry projects to see more style options – slouch, different weights, contrasting color brim, etc. I really love how the design turned out, and I’m super happy with the final pattern – I hope some of you have fun knitting it! Yay!